Woke up at about 7am and drank water until 10:30am where I met up with Jamie and Marcella, the beeutiful owners of The Juice Standard. First thing I noticed – the store and display is gorgeous and so are the owners! Is it just me or is everyone that juices regularly exceptionally good looking? In fact, the owner Jamie just won Ms. Asian Las Vegas.
They were so courteous and wanted to warn me about cleansing while breastfeeding (my son is 13 months, on solids, and a chuck-a-monk…I’m not worried about him getting proper nutrition). In fact, he’ll probably be getting more with all these nutrient packed juices! Give me a break guys, I have been nursing for 7 years straight now (with short breaks in between kids). Can a sister get her cleanse on?
Anyhoo…picked up my husband and my cleanse (enough for 3 days… FYI – cold-pressed raw juice only keeps in the fridge for 72 hours without pasteurization).
Here’s what my fridge looks like right now…Awesome! As you can see they are all labeled with numbers. You go in order for an optimal cleansing process and to keep you satiated throughout the day.
Okay, here’s the squeeze:
- The juices taste great (yes, even the green drinks!) They have mastered the art of percentage in their juices, you can taste all flavors (i.e. sweet, salty, bitter, sour, etc.) yet none overpowers the others.
- There are 8 bottles of juice so you never get hunger pangs! I actually had to remember to keep drinking every 1.5-2 hours. I had to remind my husband too. His response was always, “Again?” or “So soon?” You truly don’t feel starved.
- I never felt “hungry”, although there were cravings. I have experienced the “Master Cleanse” for 14 days and it took discipline and will-power. This was different in that you get to try new flavors throughout the day which kept it interesting and not as challenging. I had to watch my kids eat all day which was tempting (not really, I was so excited to cleanse, nothing could’ve stopped me!)
- I felt great in the morning then at around 2pm I started experiencing a very slight mild headache (can be expected of cleansing – this is a sign that the body is detoxing….yay!)
- Taught a 45 min. yoga class to my kids which cleared the headache for a couple of hours then came back.
- Took a nap at 3pm (good rest and sleep is essential for a cleanse).
- Feeling a bit drained and irritable, but no hunger!
Along with my juice fast, I am keeping in the tradition of Ayurveda with daily:
- Dry skin brushing – promotes detoxification of the body.
- Self-abhy or Oil Massage – (I’m using EVOO).
- Hot Bath – Increases sweating toxins out through your pores.
- Tongue scraping – If you’ve fasted before you know about the chalky white coating of the tongue. In ayurveda, this is called ama (toxic by-product associated with causing various health problems). Simply scrape with a tongue scraper in the morning and evening with brushing.
- Oil Pulling – 10 minutes of swishing oil around in your mouth every morning draws the toxins out of the mouth, binds with the oil…then spit!
- Pranayama – 20 min. a day with my kids (for health and ultimate detoxification).
- Yoga – Keeping with a more restorative yoga than a super hardcore vinyasa or ashtanga practice.
- Meditation – 30 min in the morning and evening!
Made it through day 1 – CHECK! Success…
Stay tuned as I go through this cleanse to hear what truly happens during a fast!
I’ll tell you about the ingredients tomorrow. I’m dead tired…..zzzzzzzzzzz..
Here’s their cutie menu: